Monday 13 January 2020

Auction evening of Hope

Brilliant evening at Christie's Charity Auction for the Hope Project in Lesvos...Ian Hislop was the guest auctioneer and was so good and funny too.. He certainly did do well for the project as some paintings went for £900; £1000 and the top bid for one of the works of art got £1700. This is marvellous for the project as if the buyers are UK taxpayers then there is Gift Aid  added to the total amount donated in bids... This is the added bonus of being a registered charity. Learn more about the Hope Charity  

This was my first time at an art auction and in Christie's I am very impressed with all they do and all the other events they host.  The staff were kind with me and interested in my personal befriending project Family Link Up The auction I was sharing with Boshra in Belgium and her brother in Turkey.  Boshra was pleased and grateful that people are still remembering refugees and are wishing to help.  But we were all shocked at the conditions and demands on Lesvos with still more attempting the crossing. It fills my heart and mind with major concern and I am so grateful the family I befriend are safe! When I think back to all they have been through it makes me shudder. But even when safe the journey to healing continues and rebuilding lives. We need more befrienders like my Family Link Up and more volunteers to amazing projects like we heard about this evening the Hope Project.  Thank goodness there is kindness in the world to buffer the man made pain of war and conflict. 
The Kids Hope is still up for auction this week along with other pieces of artwork. I had a powerful day yesterday over Skype as I was showing Boshra and Leen the auction catalogue and Leen said in English "Oh I like this one!" pointing to the kids peering out of their cabin.... makes me fill with tears as I remember the kids in Eleonas camp doing this as I walked through the camp. Me and Leen would sit on the cabin step having breakfast together watching the others going to and fro in the camp.  I am going to ask Christie's if they can pass my details to the buyer of this piece and if we can buy some prints of this.