Saturday 23 June 2018

Refugee week V&A museum

Been a very interesting evening at the V&A London in this, the Refugee week.  V&A Refugee week I was able to meet up with Juan DeGaldo, one of my artist activist friends that uses the arts to get across the pain and message of being refugees.
Tonight he had put together a compilation of films to look at stories through the eyes of child refugees... it was very moving.  One film really impacted on me called Saturday Morning.... a young boy that used to love Saturday morning lay in and the sound of mum trying to wake him up with music and tickle is feet that were peeping out of the covers.  Then there is this shift into the now distorted world after airstrikes on his home... and now he no longer likes Saturday mornings as his memory of loss is clear. 
 This is the link to Juan website for more about him as an artist Juan delGado this is another link to his work with a project called Qisetna: talking Syria. Talking Syria  I am grateful to Juan for his help with my project Family Link Up and helping to befriend Dante one of my Syrian refugees... They get on very well together sharing ideas, creative writing and making reports. Good that I can link up my friends and activists....as there is much to do and share together, through social media, skype and travel to visit. Family Link Up


There was a good team from the UNHCR with a stand and virtual reality footage of Za'atari camp in Jordan. This was a good link up too as they remember me from parliament and my attendance to the Turkish meeting plus I do make reports about my Family Link Up to the London office.