Friday 26 April 2024

Culture wars but in Peaceful discussion

This was a very stimulating evening at Brunel University. The panel looked at different aspects of how culture division can be augmented by media and perspectives that create individual and group perception of others. The media is a tool that can be used to put more spotlight on a particular perception to create division instead of mutual understanding of one another. 

I brought to the question time discussion how I go on the peace marches and how the media and the present government can distort the perception of this by their wording. I am indeed part of the MOB that the present PM labelled us with as we  the call for peace and ceasefire. A useful acronym I pointed out as I turned the label to Many Opposed to Bombing! 
I also shared how in the march there was amazing sharing with one another from all cultures, all backgrounds and religions including our amazing Jewish bloc with holocaust survivors and families. We cry together, hug one another, share with one another, listen to one another. 
I pointed out that from my clinical perspective I was observing in myself and others that we are going through a form of grieving. Grieving the loss of the world we wish it to be of Peace, love care compassion empathy for one another and this one planet home we all share. 

I also pointed out that we have an all party group that is calling for Compassion in Politics and we need Compassion in Policymaking. Compassion in Politics

My question from this sharing was if there are then more of us in this world that wish peace and togetherness why was there division and what purpose and whose purpose did it serve to create that division? 

This fit into the discussion as there was an emphasis on empathy and compassion and why division or perceived division in society. 

The evening continued with a further conversation over drinks and I found myself in an huddle of other retired nurses but I was the only one with midwifery. As nurses though we had combined neonatal experience. What an time of caring and sharing as our careers are indeed built on caring and compassion. One of the panel, Professor Anita Howarth from the Media department, joined us. The most important observation from our combined discussion  - was we were all well travelled and had shared time with other cultures in a vast array of countries as we shared our experiences. Plus as I pointed out as nurses we had cared for patients from all cultures and worked with health professionals from all cultures so we understood one another through that caring. 

I always point out from my befriending refugees my Family Link Up project that I have a ray of hope from the refugee children. That ray of hope is that they are becoming polyglots little professors of linguistics as they pick up and efficiently use all the languages they are exposed too. This in a practical way will help understanding one another and see how we think and live our lives with the same emotions and feelings. But we must be aware that those emotions and feelings can be subject to manipulation by others in either negative or positive ways.  Present day social media can be social or antisocial with who ever uses to create togetherness or division. 

Maybe with polyglots and those little professors of linguistics we will indeed become truly a Global Family and truly United Nations with Peace for our future generations. A very apt and very important statement I make in the background of Saberattling at the moment on the global stage. 
We need to change the Saber to Sabr the Arabic word for patience. Patience to listen and understand one another. 

Shalom Salem Peace Om Shanti in the world to ensure our future on this one planet home we share!