Friday 26 April 2024

Interesting Talk Brunel University


Another stimulating evening at Brunel University. What an amazing presentation by Prof Amanda Harvey. A presentation that took us on a journey through her career building and how much had been unplanned. That journey has taken her to perform some very much needed work on cell biology and breast cancer cell behaviour. It was touching to hear a member of the audience in the question time who was a breast cancer survivor be so grateful to Professors' work. The presentation touched on her work and gave insights but has inspired me to reference hunt to learn more.  I am first and foremost a biologist that chose my career to be in nursing and midwifery. My nursing had taken me in experience in oncology too! Plus as a retiree had helped at the local Community Cancer Centre a patient run centre so the whole topic touched upon was of great interest to me. I would love to attend more of Professors lectures on Cell Signalling and behaviour. I had opportunity to meet with her associate researcher Alessandra Devoto, in their collaborative work with the Royal Holloway University. 
In amongst the evening had time with Amanda's mother who is also very interesting to be with. Plus had time with a breast cancer patient. 
My questions in the presentation time was the acknowledgement of the dynamic changes in the breast tissue from hormonal response in the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, lactation and menopause and had this been studied. Plus also why was there an affinity for bone mets in breast cancer? 

Later in the over drinks discussion I also wished to know more of Amandas work on acute and chronic wound healing. Very relevant to me as after my bilateral mamaplexy my wounds broken down and I needed negative pressure vac therapy to heal the craterous wounds. So my interest was both from academic and a patient perspective. 
Here are some references to follow up as I will be too from this stimulating evening of sharing... :-