Friday 8 October 2021

Powerful Read


Elif Shafak wow what an amazing writer... her book The Island of Missing Trees is beautifully crafted.. She leads us on a journey as we move between past in Cyprus, the split between Turkish & Greek areas... but how love knows no borders. Then recent times as we see the daughter of that love, the main character Ada in London. The book and story has a wonderful magical element of a Fig tree talking to us sharing the wisdom of centuries and ecosystems.  While I read this I feel Dme Judi Dench would love this book and the way tree wisdom is used to weave together all the branches of the story. Dme Judi loves trees... as I think our Queen and Prince Charles would surely love this book too. 

I picked up a copy when I was in Piccadilly on Wednesday from Waterstones. I am over half way through ... but a strange feeling of not wanting to finish the journey this book is taking me on. I am enjoying the creativity of this amazing writer. Learning so much too through that creativity.... at times not a page turner but a page stopper as I pause to see the wonder of her words, sentences, paragraphs crafted so well to absorb you as part of the story. Seeing ...feeling ....being the partnership of writer and reader..sharing the imagery of the magical creation of this story.

  Elif Safak Website