Thursday 16 September 2021

Parcels to EU from UK problem

 


From 1st July there are regulations for parcels entering the EU apparently. As the UK is now classified as a country outside the EU it is affecting us. When we send parcels even  listed as gift to family and friends in the EU,  they are being assesed in customs. The recipient of the parcel is contacted to pay customs duty on the goods content! I have been sending parcels over the last 6yrs to the Syrian family I befriend Family Link Up parcels of my love and support would arrive impressively within a week. I always track with Royal Mail but on tracking there is a request for customs payment from the recipient. My ice lolly moulds I sent in july seem to have disappeared as I was told they were cleared then told no they are being sent back to me.. i had to show invoice proof of purchase..they were only £5.99.

I love sending parcels and the children love receiving them. So this is mega frustrating.

Now I have tried sending the disco pjs I showed you in the last post on this blog. I thought I will use parcels2go and out of choices chose Hermes. ..but I am still running into customs payment request. I was ahead of possible situation so put my email for recipient so I could monitor the procedure and not freak out my Syrian family that a customs payment was to be made. The cost of pjs £28 the customs request 25€. This not a % but almost mirroring the cost of goods!! 
The parcel would not be delivered till this paid. 

Depite raising the issue with the CEO and Flemmish House both empathetic and trying to help. This customs request has to be paid. I have paid this today received confirmation of payment so lets see what happens. 

I have asked the CEO and my contact in the Flemmish house to be my voice in EU parliament as now I am no longer an EU citizen with brexit, so my voice is muted.... I have asked 
Why gifts are being customs taxed? If this to be could sender be informed rather than family or friends we may be sending gifts to..
Plus what is the procedure for humanitarian aid ..will that be customs taxed? 
I bcc my MP John McDonnell to keep updated on the situation. 

Today I called round to our local Portuguese cafe and the Portuguese were saying they too have this problem. Families back home in Portugal are saying please don't send anything we are having to pay customs to collect the parcels! 

Christmas going to be a nightmare! The customs I spoke with are not happy too as parcels are piling up that would have had fast turn around out for delivery! 

Seems the "oven ready deal" is burning our fingers!! 

But it is so upsetting and frustrating as you send gifts with love for family & friends..Each parcel has that love with it. Especially as we have had travel restrictions not to visit. 

So be aware if you sending parcels from UK to EU..