Sunday 11 February 2024

Public Lectures Brunel university

The new term at Brunel University has some good public lectures to attend.  I attended the first one on Wednesday evening on AI. The lecturer had wide range of experience but sometimes difficult to grasp all the technical side. There was a good historical perspective.  The lecture fitted in to a recent zoom I had attended in Australia on the use of AI in healthcare. For this I see a good use of data analytics to spot trends in public health problems around the country to react too.  In the Brunel presentation there was an interesting mention of robotic arms with prosthetic use.  My question on this was how can we link AI to the human brain with its intent on movement. This is important in the prosthesis being and feeling a true extension of self. Makes you realise how much of our movement is driven by intent and reaction to the environment. 

I was permitted two questions and I asked given the recent media story on the post office computer package failure and the horrendous effect on the postmasters of sub post offices.. this then leads to how will we know when AI is malfunctioning?

it was good to see old friends from the university creative writing department and Seb, the amazing event coordinator.  In the audience was the past Hillingdon Mayor and his wife too.  We had time together when I was a volunteer at the local Community Cancer Centre in Yiewsley.  Makes me realise how long I have been living in the London Borough of Hillingdon and how we have a family of familiar faces in the community.