Friday 5 October 2018

Garden fun this morning

😂🤣😂"I don't believe it!" This got Mrs Victor Meldrew curious nextdoor to see what "that" (me) was doing..... I have been sorting out my Gymnosporangium sabinae (Pear Tree Rust) ... thought I had better protect my airways from the spores as I was getting up close & personal to cut down the branches and leaves affected.... so wrapped one of Premlata's large dupatta round my head like a desert bedouin to cover my nose and mouth.... wouldn't you know it Mrs Victor Meldrew was out on her patio to see - lol will now be reported to council as a Tree Terrorist - or they ring the MI5 LOL waiting for the helicopter from Northolt to swoop down on me hhhhhhhh.... I had a good look at those protruding thingies on the underside of the affected leaves - they are spore sacs.... fascinating some loaded to release in the air and other empty already shed..... my pear tree could have been infected by another pear tree within a mile radius...... and now the airborne spores from mine will find another host tree..... Biology is amazing and the need for species to survive..... parasite and host a bizarre set up sometimes beneficial but most times detrimental to the host..... Survival of the fittest! I have all the affected cuttings in the incinerator ready to burn but being a considerate person have to wait till Mrs Meldrews washing in off her line....!!
https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/pears/pest.php the pictures of the  underside spore sacs are on this link and really spook my 
 Trypophobia.... which is augmented when depressed... weird how it makes you feel and for a keen biologist as myself fascinating.........
https://www.healthline.com/health/trypophobia#research